Saturday, October 17, 2009

Private Sessions, Many Benefits

I have been teaching only private sessions for three months and I am enjoying the experience very much. Sharing yoga with individuals, one on one, or with just two students, is by far the most effective way I have found to teach yoga. And from the comments I have from my students, they also feel the private experience is valuable. The process of learning the poses and understanding the modifications needed for your body is very personal, and private sessions facilitate that process.

My private sessions run 1 or 2 hours. A one hour session is a good place to start. We can work on things that you have in mind, or I can choose a series of poses to work on. The personal experience of having your very own teacher is very rewarding. It may be the very best way to learn anything, and it definitely works with a body/mind activity like yoga.

If you are interested in an intensive session, and to really feel you have moved ahead with a pose or a series of poses, a 2 hour session may be right for you. The time it takes to warm and loosen our muscles can be relatively long, and a 2 hour session allows that to happen. There is also time to really learn the poses, cognitively and kinesthetically. This makes it easier to practice the poses on your own at home.

No comments: