Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Yoga for Fascial Fitness

I am creating a yoga practice that emphasizes myofascia and connective tissue work. Instead of isolating muscles from tendons, bones from ligaments, I visualize this body-wide web of tissue while practicing yoga. The interconnectedness of the body is at the forefront of my awareness. This holistic approach creates a synergy in the pose. As my pose develops from my feet to the top of my head, I use the myofascial web to energize and enliven my pose.

Much myofascial work is done with hands-on bodywork, but in yoga, the work is through movement into a specific pose, holding that pose and releasing from the pose. This movement can be fast or slow but the essence is to expand the awareness throughout the entire body. This is how the body experiences the pose, our mental picture and our verbal references can match the body's unified experience.

Next time: How the myofascial web can be felt in functional connections in a yoga asana, and how that can be beneficial to your practice.    

No comments: