Sunday, December 5, 2010

Hotel Yoga

Being on the road gives me stiff joints and tight muscles. Is it the hours of sitting or the hotel beds? No matter what the cause, yoga helps!

I don't carry a mat, nor do I expect to find a yoga class in the hotel fitness center (unlikely), all I need is a piece of floor in the room and a towel or two.

Lying on the towel(s) on the floor, begin with legs up the wall pose (Viparita Karani) for a few minutes. This is a wonderful restorative for feet and legs, especially after a lot of walking on sidewalks or airports.

Adapting the practice to limited space, try lying on your back, knees to chest, then move into twists (Jathara Parivartanasana) with legs bent, followed by leg extensions (Supta Pandangustasana) toward the ceiling. Move into Little Bridge pose (Setu Bandha Saravangasana) a couple of times, lifting one leg then the other to balance.

Finish up with Warrior I (Virabhadrasana I) and Warrior III (Virabhadrasana III), then a brief relaxation (Savasana) and you'll feel refreshed and invigorated.

No comments: